Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thirsty?

“The strongest principle of growth lies in human choice.” – George Eliot.

Mayor Bloomberg wants to take away a choice.  It's that simple.
While it may seem trivial to criticize a proposal that will prevent sugary drinks larger than 16 ounces from being sold, it does illustrate an example of choices being taken away from citizens. He says that he wants to push this ban in an effort to tackle the obesity problem in NY, which seems noble enough in principle.  After all, some of his previous bans obviously were created for the common good.  A decade ago, smoking was banned in bars and restaurants – fair enough.  I’m a cigar smoker myself, and I totally understand that it’s not fair to subject others to a vice that I happen to enjoy, especially one that will, at the very least, make their clothes smell – not to mention the obvious health detriments. But in that instance, something I’m doing is directly infringing on someone else’s life or experience.

And I get it, you know? I understand “looking out for the public good” and all that, but where does it stop?  Where’s the line? It might sound like I’m making a mountain out of a molehill, but again, it’s not so much what is being prohibited, as it is the idea of a choice being taken away. Personally, I don’t buy drinks as large as 16 ounces – especially if I’m not near a bathroom.
Look, Mr. Bloomberg (like he’s really reading this), I appreciate you wanting to come across as someone who cares about the health of others and are so concerned that you propose to remove certain “unhealthy” choices from our daily lives.  But wouldn’t a leader prove their point more by setting an example rather than taking away someone’s right to choose? You were on the right track in 2008 by requiring food providers to publish calorie counts on menus; you didn’t pressure them to remove things you felt were “unhealthy”. I mean, live a healthy lifestyle yourself, promote and attend community groups that seek to educate people about eating better and working out (and invite the press to get it on public record so that it pops up every time someone visits Google or Yahoo or MSN, etc.), create public awareness campaigns, paper the city with “healthy lifestyle” posters like these:





  

But don’t presume to act like a scowling parent to the people who put you in office ten years ago (and helped keep you there, incidentally). I mean what’s next on the list then, the pastrami sandwich at the Carnegie Deli? Stickball? A bedtime, perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment